Be Aware – burglaries in the East Preston area
As many households throughout the East Preston area were enjoying all the entertainment and gifts that came along during this festive period, others were having to recover from home burglaries with purses and wallets containing cards and cash topping the list for opportunist burglars.
Police Community Support Officer Michelle Davies said: “A burglary in your own home is a devastating experience that can affect your family long after the mess is cleared up and the insurance paperwork is done. Prevent a burglar messing with your head as well as your home by taking simple crime prevention measures”, which include:
* Keep all wallets, purses, credit cards and car keys out of sight and out of reach.
* If leaving a house empty, even if just in the back garden, lock all the doors and windows.
* Fit an intruder alarm as an effective deterrent against burglars: seek advice to ensure it is the most suitable for your needs.
* Make it a habit to mark valuables with a postcode and house number or name.
* Register property at immobilise.com, It’s free of charge and can increase chances of being reunited with stolen property.
* When going out in the evening, always leave a light on in a room that cannot be peered into from the road
* Ensure that gates or access to the rear of the house are locked and secure
For a comprehensive list of the advised security measures visit the Sussex Police site