Summer is a time to relax, but not on your Security!
As the weather gets warmer windows and doors open wider, making opportunities for theft easier. Police call this type of theft ‘Sneak–In Burglary’; a break-in that occurs when windows and doors are left open.
According to Halifax Home Insurance, chancers push their luck during the summer period, resulting in a massive 10% increase in domestic burglaries. These crimes can even take place when you are around your home doing usual activities such as gardening, hanging out your washing, washing the car, quickly nipping to the shops. It is so important that if you are leaving the property even for a short period you lock up any possible entry to your home.
Halifax Home Insurance also confirm, during the warmer months there is a staggering 40% increase in outdoor thefts of items such as; bikes, gardening tools, garden furniture and shed invasions. These items are easy to remove and will appeal to a passing thief.
We have put together a few reminders for the summer months:
- Remember to put tools, toys, bikes etc. in a secure shed or garage once you have finished with them in your garden and keep any access into your garden locked. We sell heavy-duty padlocks and high security gate locks that can be used to secure your outbuilding or side access. Expensive outdoor equipment, including bikes, can be very tempting for opportunistic thieves and items such as garden tools and ladders could be used to help them break into your home.
- Don’t leave valuable items in reach or in visible sight of an open window or door i.e. keys, wallets/purses, bags, mobile phones or iPads/tablets etc. these may tempt a burglar into your home.
- ‘Checking in’ at holiday locations on social media lets people know no one is home, this offers an open invitation to criminals that may know your address. To help ensure you are being safe online have a look at our blog post “Are you sharing TMI”.
- Have a monitored intruder alarm system installed at your property by a professional certified installer, then should there be a break in you and appropriate emergency services can be alerted quickly when necessary. If you are going away or are away from home often, we would recommend a Key holding service to attend your property in the event of alarm activation. You could opt to use CMS, our Keyholding company that offers a variety of Keyholding services. They can also cater for other requirements such as: a daily check on the property, watering the plants and feeding pets whilst you are away. visit the CMS Website for more information on their services
- For extra protection, secure external timber doors using a mortice lock and nightlatch that meets British Standard BS3621 visit our website for information on available Banham locks.
- If you are unsure whether your property and its surroundings are secure, book one of our experienced security consultants to carry out a free of charge no obligation survey. You can find the quick survey request form here
- Lastly, be sure to check that you have suitable cover with your home insurance and that it is up to date.
Despite the current wet weather, we hope you have a lovely and relaxing summer but don’t relax on your security
For more tips and advice check out our Banham Blog